Friday, July 2, 2010

Who'd have thunk it...

I have a friend who inspired me to try something new. Running. I have never been a runner. In junior high we were required to run a mile. I never could run that mile - ever. I decided to make a goal a few months ago. I was going to run a 5K this year. I know that for some, this is no big challenge. For me, it's huge! I started running at the gym on the treadmill. I ran a mile. Wow! I actually ran a mile for the first time ever in my life. I called my sister and asked her if she wanted to join me. She agreed and we have been "training" since then. We only run together on Saturdays. The rest of the week it is up to us individually to increase our distance. The farthest that I have gone is 5.75 miles. (If only I had known at the time I was that close to 6 miles). Colby and I train together during the week with our boys. They are our cheering section. They sit in the stroller and yell at us or each other while Colby and I do all the work. They are the best cheering section ever.
My sister is running her first 5K tomorrow. I wish her the best of luck. I so want to join her, but it's not going to happen. She will do awesome. My first 5K is to take place on the 24th. It is my goal and I will do it! We may not be fast, but I'm all about endurance. I never thought that I could get addicted to something so challenging, but I am. We love to run!

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Yeah Mel....I'm so excited to run with you on the 24th. Keep up the great work!!!!

Nikkala said...

5.75 miles!? You're doing great!

Justin, Amy, and Grace said...

I'm so impressed. Way to go! I've never been much of a runner myself, but I'm wishing now (after having baby #2 and not losing the weight/fat like I did with Grace) I was. I think I'll wait until Thanksgiving when it starts to drop below 85 degrees here before I take up running! Keep up the good work Melanie!